All Saints Parish History
All Saints Parish was established by the Archdiocese of Boston, on August 29, 1998.
The late Reverend Dennis T. Nason was installed as its first Pastor. Father Nason died on October 4, 2010.
Our current pastor, Reverend Tim Kearney, was installed in 2011.
All Saints Parish was formed by the merger of four ethnic parishes in the Mount Washington section of Haverhill.
- St. George Parish , originally established November 22, 1914, to serve the Lithuanian population, became a Mission of St. James Parish in 1918 until October of 1932 when it became a Mission of St. Rita‘s Parish. In February of 1961, St. George‘s Parish was reestablished as a separate parish. The former St. George church building on Washington Street remains vacant.
- St. Joseph Parish , established December 25, 1871, to serve the French population. The St. Joseph church building is now our All Saints Parish place of worship. Our parish priests live in the rectory building that was formerly the St. Joseph Parish rectory. The former St. Joseph convent building now houses our parish's Early Childhood Center (ECC). Our parish school has closed (read more below).
- St. Michael Parish , established January 13, 1901, to serve the Polish population. The former St. Michael church building remains vacant.
- St. Rita Parish , established October 15, 1932, to serve the Italian population. The former St. Rita church building has been converted to a facility for a nonprofit organization that provides housing and support services to veterans.
Our Parish School has closed
St. Joseph School of All Saints Parish closed after 129 years (1888 - 2017). It was established in 1888 as a school for boys and expanded in 1947 to include girls. It served students from nursery through grade eight. Miss Carol Simone retired as principal in June 2016. Ms. Maureen Cocciaro served as the school principal until the school's closing in June 2017.
Read the letter from our pastor, about the school closing. If you do not see the image below, click here.
Below is the detailed history, retrieved from the archived view of the school website. All Saints parishioner Judy Quintal was the school secretary for many years and she maintained the website. I think she very likely will know who authored the following text. I have made slight edits, changing some sentences to past tense, to reflect that the school is no longer operating.
History of the School
St. Joseph School had its humble beginnings when four Sisters of Charity of Ottawa arrived in Haverhill in August, 1888. In September of the same year four sisters greeted 400 boys who crowded the basement of St. Joseph Church. After sending 100 of them home, the Sisters were still left with large classes.
In 1894, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart accepted the call to teach the other boys and in 1903 the Marist Brothers came to staff the boys’ school until 1947. At that time, the school became co-educational.
St. Joseph School developed in various stages and locations under the guidance of Marist priests. The school building on Oak Terrace dates back to 1912 when it was built with eight classrooms and a first floor hall for parish activities. Since then four classrooms were built joining the school to an auditorium constructed in 1951 for parish functions.
The building was renovated in subsequent years and eventually had 16 classrooms, a computer lab, art room, Support Services room, a library, a cafeteria and kitchen facilities. The spacious auditorium as part of the school facilities was used for assemblies and as a gymnasium for regular physical education classes. The gym program was initiated in 1969.
In 1957, a tuition system was instituted for children attending St. Joseph School to offset the rising cost of operating the school. Before this time, children paid no tuition fees. Various parish organizations contributed time, effort and talent toward the betterment of the school throughout its 125 years of existence. (N.B. The school closed in June 2017, after 129 years -- ed.)
In 1992, a Pre-Kindergarten was opened and school hours were also expanded to include before and after school programs to assist working parents.
In 1994, the Pre-Kindergarten was moved into the newly renovated convent and a Nursery program was also added the same year. In 1999, the second floor of the convent was renovated to house the Kindergarten. This renovation allowed the opening of two Kindergarten classrooms, assuring a feeder into the school. It also opened up another classroom to satisfy the growing enrollment. Also in June of 1999, the parishes of Saint George, Saint Rita, Saint Michael and Saint Joseph parishes merged to become All Saints Parish. It was decided not to change the name of the school at that time.
In 1997, the convent screen house was renovated to provide a play/gym area for the Early Childhood Center, i.e., the Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten. Statistics for the 2001-2002 indicate a total student body of 455 housed in two buildings. One building was for the Early Childhood Center and the main building consisted of 16 classrooms, a computer lab, a library, a Support Services room, a nurses’ room, a cafeteria and a gym/auditorium.
In 2010, it was decided to move the Kindergarten program back to the main school, due to decrease in enrollment and the nature of the current economy. It also provided more options for the Kindergarten children to have better use of the library, the computer lab, and the music, art, and physical education programs.
In the fall of 2011, the parking area and the upper and lower school yards were hot topped. New fences were put in around both school yards and along the sides of the school building.
In spring of 2012, a child friendly playground was provided by the fundraising efforts of the Parent Teacher Organization in memory of the former pastor, Father Dennis Nason. The play structure enhanced not only the school yard, but also the surrounding community.
In the summer of 2013, the land between the upper and lower playground was landscaped.